Online Access Free CIMAPRO19-CS3-1 Practice Test
| Exam Code: | CIMAPRO19-CS3-1 |
| Exam Name: | Strategic Case Study Exam |
| Certification Provider: | CIMA |
| Free Question Number: | 46 |
| Posted: | Oct 19, 2026 |
From: Abdhulla Al- Waihabi, Regional Manager - Middle East - Slide
To: William Seaton, Director of Finance
Subject: Press article
Hi William,
I have just had a telephone call from a journalist at Business News to ask for a comment on a story that it plans to run. As you know, we purchased oil wells in the AZ40 field last year in order to bring them back to full production. We got the wells for a good price because the previous owner was struggling to maintain oil pressure and it appeared that the recoverable reserves in that field were close to exhaustion. Our experts worked out a plan to drill a hole and pump water into the well to force more oil to the surface. That is a standard industry technique. Our geologists are the best in the industry and so we are better than most at bringing wells back on stream.
It now appears that we are being blamed for an environmental catastrophe. Our pumping station is only one kilometre from the sea and there are reports of oil coming to the surface along the coast close to where we are operating. We have only just started operations and there are fears that we have ruptured a rock formation with our high pressure pumping.
I have ordered an immediate halt to all pumping activity, but the oil could continue to bubble up for years. The coastal area has some important coral reefs and there are fishermen who depend on shellfish that can be found there.
I told the journalist that she would have to wait for a response from Slide's Board. Business News is a European newspaper, so any comment from you will carry more weight anyway.
I am sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.
Abdhulla
Six months have passed since you first heard of the possibility that Slide might relocate its Head Office to the Middle East.
You have been called into William Seaton, the Director of Finance's office:
"After lots of deliberation, the Board has reached a final decision on the Head Office move. It has been decided that we will relocate to the Middle East.
I need you to draft a report on the following matters:
* First of all, we need a strategy for the choice of country to which we are going to relocate. I need you to think about the strategic decisions that will have to be taken so that we obtain the best possible value from the relocation.
* Secondly, we have to think about the change management issues with respect to Slide's senior managers. We have a good team of senior managers and Board members and we wish to see them relocate with the company. I need your thoughts on this.
* Thirdly, there will be significant change issues for the other staff members. We cannot justify moving all of them to the Middle East, but we will be relying on them to ensure an orderly transition from the current Head Office to the new one. They will be busy for several months, then most will be made redundant. The rest will be offered new jobs with Slide because we will need a scaled down administrative presence in Kayland. Again, I need your suggestions for this.
* Finally, we need to put together a transition team to deal with the many administrative issues that the move will create. I need you to suggest a clear job description for the transition team that explains the main operational tasks required, so that the directors can be left free to focus on the strategic management."
Six months have passed. Wodd has announced its intention to create a biomass power station in its North Forest, to be fuelled by trees from the North Forest itself and also waste biomass products from other timber land owned by Wodd in that area.
The news has received mixed reactions. Younger residents of the small towns close to North Forest were delighted because their local economy will be boosted. Older residents and those living further afield within the region complain that the power station will pollute the environment and the destruction of the North Forest will blight an area of outstanding beauty. A residents' group has been established online, with support from Marland's largest environmental lobbying group, to block the proposal.
You have received the following email from Marcus Svenson, Finance Director:
From: Marcus Svenson, Finance Director
To: Senior Finance Manager
Subject: Stakeholder issues
Hi,
I have sent you a link to the website created by the protestors against the biomass power station. This is causing serious problems because we still need to gain formal Government approval, although the Government supports biomass as an energy source as it is far cleaner and more sustainable than fossil fuel and far less controversial than nuclear. Needless to say, the press has picked up on this and is starting to run the story.
We had reached agreements in principle with Marland Bank for funding for this project and with a civil engineering contractor for the construction work, but both are now nervous about signing contracts because neither wishes to be associated with an environmental scandal.
I need two things from you.
Please draft the body of a press release that we can issue in response to the claims on the protestors' website. Add a few comments to explain what your arguments are trying to achieve (I don't want us simply to state that we disagree with the protestors, I want us to offer meaningful arguments in response). Just write your draft as part of your reply to this email and I will circulate it to the other Board members for approval before we submit it.
Please suggest some safeguards that we can put in place to enable us to retain the support of the bank and the civil engineer throughout this project.
Marcus
William Seaton, the Director of Finance stopped you in the corridor a week after the Head Geologist's announcement that reserves had been overstated:
"We informed the stock exchange that our reserves had been downgraded and our share price has taken a solid hit. We need to work towards making sure that this is never repeated.
The Board is actively considering some changes that we hope will improve our forecasting system. I am not convinced that the suggestions will work. Frankly, if we could predict the future with certainty then I would have us stop looking for oil and start selling forecasts.
I would like you to work through the proposals that have been put forward and to recommend on their adoption, with changes if you think it necessary. The issues that we are most seriously considering are:
* A suggestion that Big Data could be used to monitor oil prices. Do you think this would be a sensible way to proceed?
* A suggestion that we should update our reserves information on the company website in real time. Do you think that would be an effective communication strategy?
* Finally, we have considered a number of issues surrounding the motivation and inspiration of our geologists. Two quite distinct schemes have been proposed. Firstly, some Board members believe that our geologists should be rewarded in relation to the accuracy of their forecasts. Bonuses will be paid on the basis of correct initial evaluation of wells. The bonus will increase if a well that was initially identified as commercially viable goes into production and will decrease if a well that was classified as viable is reclassified as unproductive.
Secondly, other members of the Board believe that there should be a greater degree of accountability on the part of geologists. The incorrect classification of a well's potential could be treated as a disciplinary matter. Please provide a detailed analysis of EACH of those suggestions."
You have received the following email from Marcus Svenson, Finance Director:
From: Marcus Svenson, Finance Director
To: Senior Finance Manager
Subject: Biomass proposal
Hi,
The Board has just heard a presentation by an engineering consultancy concerning a proposal to develop a biomass power station adjacent to our North Forest.
The Board has asked us to put together some thoughts about the merits of this proposal. We would proceed on the basis that we would build the power station and sell the resulting electricity to the national power generator which has a number of coal-fired power stations, each of which is nearing the end of its useful life and the coal has to be shipped in, so we should find it relatively easy to guarantee sales. The power generator has indicated that it would be possible to negotiate a three year contract in the first instance, with the expectation that this would be extended by subsequent three year contracts, subject to price and performance.
We would be responsible for building and operating the power plant and we would also have to pay for 50% of the cost of power lines for connecting to the national electricity grid, with the other 50% being funded by the national power generator.
Please draft a briefing paper that I can present to the Board on the following:
How can we predict whether the share price is likely to increase or decrease if we commit ourselves to this project? You should identify the challenges associated with answering that question and indicate how we might address them.
What are the long-term risks associated with future revenues from the sale of electricity? How might we manage these?
Marcus
Reference Material: